DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
OFFICE OF INDIAN AFFAIRS
IOWA TRIBE OF OKLAHOMA
RATIFIED FEBRUARY 5, 1938
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
WASHINGTON : 1938
CORPORATE CHARTER OF THE IOWA TRIBE OF OKLAHOMA
A FEDERAL CORPORATION CHARTERED UNDER THE ACT OF
JUNE 26, 1936
Whereas, the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma constitutes a recognized Tribe of Indians residing in Oklahoma, organized under a constituition and by-laws approved by the Secretary of the Interior on September 22, 1937, and ratified by the Indians of the said tribe on October 23, 1937, pursuant to section 3 of the Oklahoma Indian Welfare Act of June 26, 1936 (49 Stat.1967); and
Whereas, the said tribe, by resolution of the Iowa Business Committee duly authorized, has requested that a charter of incorporation be issued to the said tribe, subject to ratification by a vote of the members of the Tribe;
Now, therefore, I, Oscar L. Chapman, Assistant Secretary
of the Interior, by virtue of the authority conferred upon me by the said
Act of June 26, 1936, do hereby issue this charter of incorporation to
the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, to be effective from and after such time as
it may be ratified by a majority vote of the adult members of the Iowa
Tribe voting: Provided, however, That such election shall
be void unless the total vote cast be at least 30 per centum of those entitled
1. The corporate purposes of the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma shall be:
(a) To define and safeguard the rights and powers of the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma and its members;
|Name, Membership and Organization.||
2. The name of this corporation shall be the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, as provided in the Constitution and By-laws of the said Tribe. The membership, the officers, and the management of the incorporated tribe shall be as provided in the said Constitution and By-laws.
3. The Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, subject to any restrictions contained in the Constitution and laws of the United States or in the Constitution and By-laws of the Tribe, and subject to the limitations of sections 4 and 5 of this Charter, shall have the followng corporate powers as provided by section 3 of the Oklahoma Indian Welfare Act of June 26, 1936.(a) To have succession by its corporate name perpetually.
|Limitations of Corporate Powers.||
4. The foregoing corporate powers shall be subject to the following limitations:(a) No tribal land or interest in land shall ever be sold or mortgaged.
|Departmental Review of Corporate Acts.||
5. Until ten years from the date of ratification of this Charter, or such other date as may be fixed pursuant to section 6, of the following corporate acts or transactions shall be valid only after approval by the Secretary of the Interior or his duly authorized representatives:(a) Any contract involving a payment by the Tribe of more than $2,000 or more than $1,200 in any one year.
|Extension and Termination of Supervisory Powers.||
6. At any time Within ten years after the ratification of this Charter, any power of review established by section 5 may be terminated by the Secretary of the Interior with the consent of the Iowa Council. At or before the expiration of this ten year period, the Secretary may propose a further extension of this period. Such proposed extension shall be effective unless disapproved by a three-fourths vote of the Iowa Council.
|Corporate Rights and Property.||
7. Any rights and powers heretofore vested in the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, not expressly referred to in the Constitution, By-laws or Charter of the said tribe, shall not be abridged, but may be exercised by the people of the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, through the adoption of appropriate additions and amendments to the Constituton and By-laws or Charter of the said tribe. No property rights or claims of the Iowa Tribe existing before the ratification of this Charter shall be in any way impaired by anything contained in this Charter. The tribal ownership of unallotted, lands, whether or not occupied by any particular individuals, is hereby expressly recognized. The individually owned property of members of the Tribe shall not be subject to any debts or liabilities of the Tribe without such owners' consent.
8. This Charter shall not be revoked or surrendered except by an Act of Congress, but amendments may be proposed by a majority vote of the Business Committee or by a petiton signed by 30 per cent of the adult members of the Tribe. Such amendments, if approved by the Secretary of the Interior, shall be submitted to referendum vote of all members of the Tribe, and shall be effective if approved by a majority vote.
9. This Charter shall be effective from and after the date of its ratification by a majority vote of the adult members of the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, provided that at least 30 per cent of the eligible voters shall vote, such ratification to be formally certified by the Superintendent of the Shawnee Indian Agency and the Chairman and Secretary of the Tribe.
Submitted by the Assistant Secretary of the Interior
for ratification by the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma.
Assistant Secretary of the Interior.
WASHINGTON, D. C., January 4, 1938.
I, Oscar L. Chapman, the Assistant Secretary of the Interior of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority granted me by the Act of June 28, 1936 (49 Stat. 1967), do hereby approve the attached charter of the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma, subject to ratification by the Tribe in the manner therein provided.
Upon ratification of this charter all rules and regulations heretofore promulgated by the Interior Department or by the Office of Indian Affairs, so far as they may be incompatible with any of the provisions of the said charter and the constitution and by-laws, approved by me on September 22, 1937, and duly ratified by the Tribe on October 23, 1937, are declared inapplicable to the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma.
All officers and employees of the Interior Department are ordered to abide by the provisions of the said constitution and by-laws, and the charter if, and when ratified by the Tribe.
Approval recommended December 10, 1937.
WILLIAM ZIMMERMAN, JR.,
Assistant Commissioner of Indian Affairs.
Assistant Secretary of the Interior.
Pursuant to section 3 of the Act of June 26, 1936 (49 Stat. 1967), this Charter, issued on January 4, 1938, by the Assistant Secretary of the Interior to the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma duly submitted for ratification to the adult members of the Tribe, and was on February 5, 1938 duly ratified by a vote of 23 for, and 15 against, in an election in which over 30 per cent of those entitled to vote cast their ballots.
Chairman of the Iowa Tribe.
Secretary of the Iowa Tribe.
F. E. PERKINS,
Superintendent, Shawnee Indian Agency.